CHALLENGE / OPPORTUNITY
The well-known, low cost airline had a strong culture but major changes, including a merger with another carrier, a shift in business model, and protracted union contract negotiations created uncertainty among employees. The company, known for its fun-loving family culture, was experiencing lower morale and recruiting challenges. It was critical to create clarity in messaging, unity among groups, and renewed energy inside the organization.
During year 1, I focused on achieving this company’s goals of increasing collaboration and teamwork by creating and facilitating their first-ever Engagement Council made up of key individuals from all levels and disciplines accountable for change.
– With a new culture brand developed by an outside agency, I gave it meaning by defining it and creating a compelling change story, hand-in-hand with employees, and began socializing it through innovative communications strategies.
– I drove attendance to their signature employee experience events through engagement campaigns and challenges designed to support culture brand messages.
– I helped expand current communications strategies by starting conversations well in advance of events and experiences to ensure all employee groups and leaders were informed. I helped develop a toolkit for managers to run smaller, more intimate group experiences in regional locations.
Year 2 Strategy focused on individual & small team development programs with innovative communications methods, interactive campaigns and programs to meet 2017 change goals and exceed 2016 employee experience event attendance numbers.
– Year 1 strategy resulted in a 31% increase in attendance at the company’s hallmark series of employee experience events presented in 6 cities across the country.
– Significant attitude and sentiment increase on teamwork and trust issues as identified through surveys.